Francis J. Collins helps Maryland employees and unions resolve problems in the employment relationship. For instance, when a public employer is not paying fair wages or benefits to union workers, he engages the employer in collective bargaining. When employees are injured on the job, he helps them obtain medical care and wage continuation benefits at the Workers Compensation Commission. When doctors or other professionals need help negotiating an employment agreement or severance agreement, Francis J. Collins makes sure they are compensated properly. When an injured worker suffers malpractice at the hands of a careless doctor, he obtains proper monetary compensation for the worker. The tools he uses range from a quick telephone call to complex litigation. He is experienced using mediation, arbitration, collective bargaining, and, when necessary to protect his client’s interests, will bring suit in Federal and State courts.
Francis J. Collins is a graduate of Loyola College and the University of Maryland Law School. After law school, he served as a judicial clerk on the Maryland Court of Special Appeals. He has since achieved the highest rating available in national directories of attorneys. Mr. Collins has concentrated his practice in the area of civil litigation with expertise in personal injury, medical malpractice, worker’s compensation, and civil rights litigation. He pursues civil jury trials, overtime wage claims, public sector labor law and employment law. He is admitted to practice in Maryland and Florida and the federal courts in Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Mr. Collins was a member of the Executive Council of the Baltimore City Bar Association for over five years and has chaired numerous committees. He has also been a lecturer for the Maryland Trial Lawyers Association regarding trial techniques. He is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association and the Howard County Bar Association. He has served for many years on the Board of Directors of the St. Thomas More Society, a specialty bar association of Catholic Lawyers. He currently represents numerous unions, employees and individuals with a wide range of legal needs.
As the managing partner of Kahn, Smith & Collins, P.A., Mr. Collins is involved in all aspects of the firm and familiar with most areas of law practiced by the lawyers in the firm.
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Maryland Federal District Court
- District of Columbia Federal District Court
- Florida Court of Appeals
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Maryland Association of Justice (formerly known as the Maryland Trial Lawyers Assoc.)
- Howard County Bar Association
- Saint Thomas More Society
- Super Lawyers 2008-2010
- Martindale Hubble, AV rating
- Loyola College, Maryland
- University of Maryland School of Law
- Soccer Coach for 12 years in Howard County
- Active squash player at Meadow Mills Athletic Club
- Formerly on the Board of Directors of Turf Valley Home Owners Association
- Founder of Turf Valley Volleyball league